Sunday, September 20, 2015

Open for Business

The library at Northside Elementary  has been open for business for four weeks and business is booming!  Kids started checking out books on day one.  They love the new seating area.  The funniest thing happened last Thursday.  I had half of a class in the library.  The kids had all found their books and were scattered around the library reading.  Yes, I said reading! Some were reading silently.  Some were reading together.   I looked around and thought, "This is the perfect library."  If my life were a musical, I'm sure I would have busted out a song at that moment.  A group of boys sitting on the couch were reading a ghost story.  About five minutes into this perfect utopian world, we heard this ghost-like, eerie-sounding wail coming from somewhere down the hall.  Those boys about knocked themselves out trying to get up to my desk.  "Miss, did you hear that?  Your library's haunted!"  About the same time, the girls that were in the other corner came running up to the desk.  The lamp by the chairs flickered several times.  Yep, ghosts for sure.  We had a good laugh.  Needless to say, there was not much reading going on after all of those ghostly encounters, but we had a good laugh.  And, yes, they are ready for more ghost stories.
 
 
 
I have created two special book display sections in the library that will change throughout the year.  The first themes were football and back to school books.
 
Two other special sections are the reading genre section and the ever popular graphic novel section.  The reading genre section features a book from each genre displayed with a genre card that explains about that particular genre.  The kids are loving the graphic novel section.  I'm finding these books appeal to the reluctant reader as well as those who struggle a bit with reading.  Some teachers have not embraced the power that the books can have, but I'm working on it!.



No comments:

Post a Comment